Each year neighbors, families, and friends gather in honor of Independence Day in the United States. Goochland County celebrates the July 4th holiday with an incredible fireworks display that can be viewed from multiple areas, most popularly at the Courthouse Commons shopping center and Goochland High School parking lots, where people can grab something to eat, visit with each other, and then spend an evening watching the colorful lights burst high into the air.
We are reminded of the Preamble that so many of us remember. It is with these words that our country’s foundation took residence into independence:
“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.“
It is in the spirit of freedom that communities, both large and small, come together and stand alongside one another in order to represent all that our great nation has accomplished as well as our hopes for the future. We take a moment to pause, reflecting on the sacrifices and honor of those who have fought for our liberties as we now know, and enjoy, them.
As we near the Independence Day holiday, here are a few reminders for Goochland County residents:
• Goochland County Convenience Centers, Goochland Branch Library of the Pamunkey Regional Library, and Goochland County Parks & Recreation Facilities will be closed on Thursday, July 4th in observance of the holiday.
• Public parking for the County fireworks is located at Goochland High School. A sign to direct parking is located on Sandy Hook Road.
• Please keep animals safely secured on their leashes while in public areas. Animals can be quite sensitive to loud fireworks, and most often do well at home with the television left on for sound or with a trusted pet sitter.
• Public consumption of alcohol is prohibited in the parking areas. Please, for your safety and that of others, never drink and drive.
• Folding chairs, as well as snacks and drinks, can be very helpful. People tend to arrive early, well in advance of the fireworks, so plan to stay awhile and enjoy the local eateries or just relaxing among friends.
• Be aware of some road closures, especially along Fairground Road and Sandy Hook Road as you approach the high school and Courthouse Commons shopping center. Local law enforcement will be out to direct traffic.
This is a family-friendly event that residents look forward to each year, and the annual Goochland County firework display is sure to light up the sky. Wether you will be spending time at home, or are headed out to celebrate, we wish each one of you a safe and fun Independence Day!